Re: poplife-mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: poplife-mode
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 10:24:35 -0500

>> It's visible if it was activated by an earlier command,
>> of course.  E.g. "mouse-3" followed by "down-mouse-3".
> Pressing and holding down `mouse-3' does _not_ highlight
> the region.  That happens only when `mouse-3' is released.

`mouse-3` is an "up", so it implies releasing the button.

> If you mean first click `mouse-3' (press and release)
> and then press and hold `mouse-3',

That's right.

> then you are talking about _two_ `mouse-3' clicks (it will be
> released) - similar to what `mouse3.el' does.

But that's only if you want to use the `mouse-3` event first.
My suggestion is mostly about providing *another* operation on that same
button (I expect it will rarely be used together with a mouse-3 event
(i.e. with mouse-save-then-kill)).

> Besides not highlighting the region that is active and
> can be acted on, your approach has the disadvantage of
> mistakenly killing the region when an intended long
> press happens to be a bit too short.

This risk only exists in the case you use down-mouse-3 right after
mouse-3, which I expect will be rare.

And from where I stand, a too-short click is *very* unlikely: the user will
simply down-mouse-3 and "wait for the menu to appear" (as opposed to
"wait 450ms").  And this user will even keep the button pressed
significantly longer: he will only release the button after selecting
the entry he's interested in.

> What's better about it?

No need to double click, hence (except for a 450ms delay) it behaves
just like the "standard" context menu of other applications.

        Stefan