Re: Git help please - checking out old commit doesn't find lib/gnulib.mk

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Git help please - checking out old commit doesn't find lib/gnulib.mk.in.
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 11:13:53 -0800

On 11/13/2017 10:53 AM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
make distclean is broken.  It purports to remove all files generated by
"configuring or building the program".

The intent is that 'make distclean' gets you back to a distribution tarball, if all you've done is 'configure; make'. But that doesn't seem to be what you're asking for. If I understand you correctly, you want something that gets you back to a fresh git checkout if all you've done is './autogen.sh; ./configure; make', and since 'make distclean' doesn't do what you're asking for, you're saying it's broken. If I'm right, it would be more accurate to say that 'make distclean' is simply a tool that doesn't do what you want.

Perhaps someone (you?) could implement a 'make gitclean' that does what you want.