Re: mouse-drag-and-drop-region

From: Alex
Subject: Re: mouse-drag-and-drop-region
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2017 16:03:17 -0600

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Alex <address@hidden>
>> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>,  address@hidden,  emacs-devel
>> <address@hidden>
>> Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2017 13:46:42 -0600
>>
>> I suppose (display-graphic-p) should be supplied as the 2nd argument to
>> `tooltip-show', then?
>
> display-multi-frame-p is more appropriate.

That appears to be an alias to `display-graphic-p'.

> But I think the tooltip should not be shown at all on TTY frames, it
> looks unnecessary and even silly to show the dragged text in the echo
> area.

That sounds better.  Though I wonder if tooltips could be shown in TTY
frames using a method similar to how `x-popup-menu' displays a menu in
them?

>> I also noticed that when dragging in an X window, the tooltip flickers
>> quite a bit. Is there any easy remedy for this?
>
> We constantly redisplay the tooltip frame, don't we?  Or does this
> happen only with GTK tooltips?

I don't know the details, but it appears that there are some redisplay
cycles that don't show the tooltip, leading to flickering.

I've only tested this with GTK tooltips so far.

There's also a side issue that subsequent mouse-movement events appear
to only be generated after moving a character rather than by a
configurable amount of pixels, which leads to the tooltip movement being
a bit jerky.