Re: wait_reading_process_ouput hangs in certain cases (w/ patches)

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: wait_reading_process_ouput hangs in certain cases (w/ patches)
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2017 08:46:00 -0800

On 11/15/2017 06:03 AM, Matthias Dahl wrote:
The crucial part is: ALL data has been read from our wait_proc while we
were running timers or filters -- and no further data will become
available until there is some interaction again with the process.

Sure, but how do we know that the data read while running timers and filters was being read on behalf of our caller? Perhaps a timer or filter fired off some Elisp function that decided to read data for its own purposes, unrelated to our caller. We wouldn't want to count the data read by that function as being data of interest to our caller.

In your ispell case we know that the timers and filters are reading on ispell's behalf, so the proposed fix should be OK. (If memory serves, integer overflow isn't possible for ispell either.) But I don't yet see how the fix works in general.