Re: windows installer

From: Richard Copley
Subject: Re: windows installer
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2017 20:45:36 +0000

On 16 November 2017 at 18:10, Fabrice Popineau
<address@hidden> wrote:

>> > From: Fabrice Popineau <address@hidden>
>> > And on my machine, ./configure is about 10 times slower than compiling
>> > emacs itself (the make -j8 part).
>>
>> Does configure on your machine take anywhere near an hour?  I doubt
>> that.
>>

> 'make -j8 bootstrap' takes 20mn.
> The ./configure part takes 3-4mn.

That is "10 times faster", not "10 times slower".

More and faster CPU cores and RAM, and fast low-latency secondary
storage will help a bit. Just now, autogen / configure / make
took 8.4s / 41.7s / 3min 31.0s respectively in MSYS2 on Windows,
and about 2s / 16s / 2m 46s in an Ubuntu VM.

Experiment with larger values for -j (the builds above were at -j24
on an 8-thread machine) as there's plenty of stuff to be going on with
that doesn't need a CPU core.

Windows is ridiculously slow to start a new process. That seems to
account for a big proportion of the time it takes to run the configure
script. Disable the App Compat engine (from orbit, it's the only
way to be sure).