Re: mouse-drag-and-drop-region

From: Alex
Subject: Re: mouse-drag-and-drop-region
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2017 15:58:17 -0600

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> > Can you show a Lisp recipe to reproduce this?
>>
>>   (setq track-mouse t)
>>   (setq count 0)
>>
>>   (global-set-key [mouse-movement]
>>                   (lambda ()
>>                     (interactive)
>>                     (message "%d" (setq count (1+ count)))))
>>
>> This will only message on the first mouse-movement event (after a
>> non-mouse-movement event), and after moving to a new character position.
>
> That's the intended behavior, see note_mouse_movement.

Thanks for pointing me to it.  I can understand the intention, but I
think it would be useful to be able to track the mouse with every pixel
change in addition to the current behaviour.  On topic, it should make
dragging the tooltip a lot smoother.

Would such a feature be considered?  I'm not sure what the best way to
implement it would be; perhaps a new value for track-mouse?  Then
note_mouse_movement could conditionally use last_mouse_motion_{x,y}?

>> It also messages after a down-click, which feels like a bug.
>
> Not here, it doesn't.  I only see a message after a movement to
> another glyph.

That's odd, you can't reproduce it at all?  On my end, I sometimes have
to click a few times (sometimes slowly) before an erroneous message
appears.