Re: [Msys2-users] About DLLs needed by Emacs (W64)

From: Fabrice Popineau
Subject: Re: [Msys2-users] About DLLs needed by Emacs (W64)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2017 20:59:05 +0100

> From: Fabrice Popineau <fabrice.popineau@centralesupelec.fr>
> Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2017 16:13:48 +0100
> Cc: Msys2 <address@hiddensourceforge.net>,
>       Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>
> gnutls also need to have an accessible ca-bundle for certificates.

Not on MS-Windows, it doesn't: it uses the system certificate store instead.

Oh ... good to know. I recall that I had to make gnutls point to the file in the past.
Maybe  I overlooked something. (I don't use gnutls much)

But in general, your point is valid: various optional libraries need support
files to work properly.

Given the numerous dependencies, and as long as msys2/mingw64 is concerned, it is so much
easier to install msys2 and then request emacs from pacman than to package a standalone
emacs. Lots of elisp packages may require other mingw64 packages : a spell checker, git, etc.
It is easy to install them with pacman. The user will have a much harder time with
a standalone emacs. If you want a full emacs experience, you need a full unix-like environment.

Fabrice