Re: Minibuffer positioned at a location other than the bottom of the fra

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Minibuffer positioned at a location other than the bottom of the frame?
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2017 17:49:04 +0200

> Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2017 10:27:54 +0100
> From: martin rudalics <address@hidden>
>
>  > Has any consideration been given to having the option of displaying the
>  > minibuffer window somewhere other than the bottom of the frame?
>
> No, because ...
>
>  > For
>  > example, if I have a frame split horizontally with bufferA on top and
>  > bufferB at the bottom, and I do an isearch in bufferA, it might (arguably)
>  > be nice to have the minibuffer window appear below bufferA's mode line, as
>  > opposed to below bufferB's mode line.
>
> ... if you now decide to delete the window showing bufferA, where would
> the minibuffer window move to?  Keeping the minibuffer window constantly
> below a frame's selected window, for example, could be very annoying
> because the window configuration would change continuously.  Moving it
> to the window where a user interaction via the minibuffer is initiated
> as well.

Indeed, there seems to be a lot of hidden aspects of this, which were
never mentioned, nor is there any proposal I'm aware of that describes
them.  This must be clarified and agreed upon first, before we
consider implementing anything like that.  First and foremost, the
design and the user-facing aspects should make sense.