Re: when do we remove backward compatibility definitions?

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: when do we remove backward compatibility definitions?
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2017 11:54:13 -0800

On 11/21/2017 09:37 AM, Sam Steingold wrote:
What is the policy on removing such declarations?

R releases?
M major releases?
Y years?

Where is it officially documented?

I don't think we have an official policy, so how about this as a first cut: If the oldest GNU/Linux or other GNU distribution still in reasonably widespread use has Emacs version N, then we don't need to continue to support features that were marked obsolete in version N or earlier.

One way to estimate what "reasonably widespread use" means is to look at commercial suppliers and see what they're supporting. If even (say) Red Hat doesn't support an old version of Emacs any more, I would say that the version is so old that we needn't worry about it. With that in mind, currently I would say that Emacs 23.1 is the oldest Emacs we currently need to worry about, since RHEL 6 uses 23.1 and Red Hat plans to keep RHEL 6 in production (which means they'll fix bugs) through 2020-11-30. In contrast, RHEL 5 reached end-of-production on 2017-03-17 so we no longer need to worry about Emacs 21.4, which is what RHEL 5 used.

According to this estimate, if a function was marked obsolete in Emacs 23.1 or earlier, we should be able to remove it in the master branch. If not, we should keep it for now.

My source for the abovementioned dates is:

https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/updates/errata