Re: [Msys2-users] About DLLs needed by Emacs (W64)

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: [Msys2-users] About DLLs needed by Emacs (W64)
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2017 23:06:21 +0000

Fabrice Popineau <address@hidden> writes:

>> But in general, your point is valid: various optional libraries need
>> support
>> files to work properly.
>>

> Given the numerous dependencies, and as long as msys2/mingw64 is
> concerned, it is so much easier to install msys2 and then request
> emacs from pacman than to package a standalone emacs. Lots of elisp
> packages may require other mingw64 packages : a spell checker, git,
> etc.  It is easy to install them with pacman. The user will have a
> much harder time with a standalone emacs. If you want a full emacs
> experience, you need a full unix-like environment.

The new "with-deps" build and installer of Emacs actually packages quite
a bit of msys2/mingw64 including, for example, a python
installation.

I am sure this is overkill, but it is there. How much of this actually
works (python does!) once it's been repackaged, I do not know. I'm not
likely to find out in normal use, so I'd welcome feedback.

Phil