Re: custom-set-variables considered harmful

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: custom-set-variables considered harmful
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2017 02:16:13 -0500

> Is there a particular reson you're not using ‘customize-set-variable’
> for all values?

Because I want the code to look as much as possible like "manually
written Elisp", and `setq` is what is used in 99% of the Elisp
customization code.

> It would be more consistent, and also avoid problems
> in case a package is changed and a setter function is added to
> a variable which previously did not use it.

Note that as long as the `setq` is within the magical
custom-autogenerated-user-settings form, it will behave correctly even
if the variable has a setter function.  The difference will only affect
those users who take this code and then copy it elsewhere.

        Stefan