Re: [EXPERIMENT] Emacs with the SpiderMonkey garbage collector

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: [EXPERIMENT] Emacs with the SpiderMonkey garbage collector
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2017 10:20:45 -0800

Pip Cet wrote:

If my understanding is correct, signals can occur after every instruction,
including in the middle of a call sequence while the argument, or
return value, is unprotected).

Yes, that's right.

Another thing is nested structs/enums/unions. I think those are bad
style in addition to presenting a portability concern, even though
they're easy to catch for the converter.

It should be OK to fix these, on style grounds. I assume the changes are relatively minor.

The most vexing issue for me right now is that I haven't figured out
how to get gnulib working with g++ without modifying files after every
sh autogen.sh, though. I admit I don't understand the gnulib build
process at all, so any hints would be appreciated.

Emacs has a special way of using Gnulib, unfortunately. I wrote the Gnulib interface (sorry! :-) and so can perhaps be of help here. What sort of modifications are needed after autogen.sh? Perhaps we can lessen and/or eliminate the need for them.

The other issues are minor (a union and a typedef sharing a name, C++
keywords, enums treated as ints),

If you would submit patches to fix these, that might help you in future merges. Of the three, enums treated as ints seems like it'd be the most hassle, as enums are the only way that C has to name small ints that can be used where an integer constant expression can be used. I'd hate to have to cast these names to int every time I used them, just to pacify C++. Perhaps the enum-to-int business could be handled by the C-to-C++ translator instead.

What do you think about the future of pure space? That also seems to
me to be an optimization that might no longer be worth it, and perhaps
to add even more complexity to the code than dumping does.

I tend to agree that pure space is no longer worth the hassle.

[1] - there's one place that uses "false" for "NULL"
Patch attached.

Thanks, I installed that in your name in the master branch.