Re: Xwidget webkit support for macOS X Cocoa

From: Jaesup Kwak
Subject: Re: Xwidget webkit support for macOS X Cocoa
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2017 03:00:34 +0900

On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 12:59 AM, Paul Eggert <address@hidden> wrote:
On 11/27/2017 11:13 PM, Jaesup Kwak wrote:
I made a work supporting Emacs xwidget webkit for macOS X, which works with Cocoa and Safari webkit frameworks without need of GTK and X window. You can t ry it on master branch of https://github.com/veshboo/emacs

Thanks, could you please briefly characterize how this relates to what's already in GNU Emacs, and to the Emacs Mac Port <https://bitbucket.org/mituharu/emacs-mac/>? (Sorry, I don't know macOS well.)

This work provides NSView (Cocoa AppKit) and WKWebView (Safari WebKit)
based backend for the Emacs xwidget webkit feature (--with-xwidgets).

The current GNU Emacs xwidget webkit feature requires X window, GTK,
and WebKitGTK even on macOS, it runs OK but not gets along with
macOS's GUI environment.

With my work, it requires only AppKit and WebKit (these are available
on macOS X without manual installation) and the resulting graphical
web browsing in Emacs buffer shows better look in the macOS GUI
environment.

Most changes are made in the following files (about 30 commits):

* configure.ac src/Makefile.in: Enable xwidgets also if NS (macOS) and
  WebKit available

* src/xwidget.[ch]: For USE_GTK or HAVE_NS, conditional compile of
  non-Lisp_Object part of pseudo vector structure and operations on it

* src/nsxwidget.[mh]: Newly added files, provide NS backend for
  xwidget and webkit

* lisp/xwidget.el: Some fixes and enhancements while development and
  testing of ns xwidget webkit support

And this work has no relation to the Emacs Mac Port. I cloned from
'git.sv.gnu.org/emacs.git' and made this work. And I also see no support
for NS Cocoa and Safari WebKit based xwidget webkit in the Emacs Mac
Port.

Also, can willing to sign papers contributing your changes to the Free Software Foundation? If so, please let me know and I can send you info about how to do that.

Sure, I can do that, send me the info, please.

Thanks,