Re: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/widen-less a4ba846: Replace prog-widen with co

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/widen-less a4ba846: Replace prog-widen with consolidating widen calls
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2017 21:28:15 +0000

On 11/30/17 3:31 PM, Tom Tromey wrote:
Yes, IIRC mhtml-mode narrows so that a sub-mode won't try to examine
parts of the buffer that have a different syntax.  Whether you consider
this ugly or not is perhaps related to your stance on the whole widening
issue.  My view, though, is that there is a problem here intrinsic to
multi-modes: something has to tell the sub-modes about the relevant
boundaries in some way;

Err, no. Ugly or not is beside the point (I personally prefer this approach, please also take a look at the branch referenced in this thread subject).

Thing is, if you're using prog-indentation-context as it's now implemented, you're "supposed to" indicate the narrowing bounds via setting the second element of that list, instead of calling narrow-to-region directly. Of course, that also requires support from the major modes in question.

> so if the narrowing/widening stuff is changed,
> something new will have to be invented here.

See above. The "something new" has a few rough edges, so this discussion is about revisiting those choices.