Any way to prevent window splits for a window or a major-mode

From: Robert Weiner
Subject: Any way to prevent window splits for a window or a major-mode
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2017 16:35:06 -0500

I have looked through the Windows sections of the Elisp manual but did not see an option that would do this specifically, though I imagine it must be there.

For a window, I would like to be able to mark it so it is never split.
For a major mode, I would like to say for any windows displaying buffers in this major mode, don't split them.

Is there a simple way to program that?

Thanks,

Bob