Re: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/widen-less a4ba846: Replace prog-widen with co

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/widen-less a4ba846: Replace prog-widen with consolidating widen calls
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2017 22:58:44 +0200

> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>  address@hidden
> From: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2017 20:14:54 +0000
>
> > Because Emacs is written in these 2 languages.  Sorry, I thought that
> > was clear.
>
> Still. Why would you need it? What benefits haven't you been able to
> achieve without that support, while working on Emacs?

I don't understand the question.  Surely, a feature that aims to
support multiple major modes should strive to support CC Mode?

> >> Web languages are a lot more common in mixed mode buffers (think
> >> HTML files and templates), so it's a lot more important to have that
> >> support in them (and we already do).
> >
> > I expected those languages to be supported already, which is why I
> > didn't mention them.
>
> But they are the most important ones/ones most desired by the users.

They are important, but so are C-based languages: C++, Java, Awk, etc.

> > It's too late for landing such features on emacs-26.  Sorry, it will
> > have to wait until Emacs 27.
>
> I understand it's a problem, and I'm sorry for bringing it up this late.

It's not a catastrophe.  Assuming Emacs 26.1 is not a complete
disaster, we could decide releasing Emacs 27.1 as the next version.

> > Adding a significant new
> > feature, which will no doubt need changes in other places, is
> > incompatible with that.
>
> Have you taken a look at the branch? It's your call, but based on the
> number of changes, I wouldn't call it "significant". Important, yes, but
> it's fairly small.

It might be "small", but it is by no means "insignificant".  Changing
buffer restrictions at strategic places is not something that should
be taken lightly.  The current pretest has been out there for the last
2 months; introducing this feature now (and actually in at least a few
days, as it isn't ready yet) would set us back that many days, if not
more.

> The other option is simply removing prog-indentation-context before the
> release.

Why would we need to remove that for Emacs 26.1?