Re: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/widen-less a4ba846: Replace prog-widen with co

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/widen-less a4ba846: Replace prog-widen with consolidating widen calls
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2017 19:03:44 -0500

>     (parse-partial-sexp 1 n)
>
> .  I am proposing extending this property for buffers with several
> modes and several syntax tables.  Nothing more, nothing less.

That would potentially solve some percentage of the problems with
MMM support.  But what about the rest?

> syntax-propertize is your way of doing things, so naturally you want it
> to become a "standard".

I don't actually care whether the standard is my standard or not.
What I wanted was *a* standard.

> However it is not the only way of doing things,
> and is suboptimal in several respects.

All standards are suboptimal.  The reason people use them is because the
existence of a standard makes other things possible.

> When designing syntax-propertize, with whom did you discuss the
> technical aspects?

My cat.  Then I (cause at that point my cat couldn't be bothered to
follow me to the desk) tried what we both thought might work, then
I applied it to more modes, and a few years later it ends up working in
*all* major modes I know (including CC-mode, tho I haven't bothered to
make it robust enough to have a patch, knowing that you're never going
to accept such a patch in CC-mode, even though it's mostly just throwing
away code).

        Stefan