Re: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/widen-less a4ba846: Replace prog-widen with co

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/widen-less a4ba846: Replace prog-widen with consolidating widen calls
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2017 00:03:14 +0000

Hi Stefan,

On 12/3/17 9:52 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:

No, it's just a small matter of adjusting CC-mode here and there.
But given that the only person who understands this part of CC-mode well
enough is Alan, it's difficult for anyone but Alan to do it (I think
I could do it as well, but I know that my solution wouldn't please Alan
because it would involve switching over to syntax-propertize, so my
motivation to do it is rather low).

Maybe you understand the issue better than me. Or maybe it's the conversion to syntax-propertize that would do away with the extra caches that IIRC were giving me troubles.

How do you address the issues which prog-indentation-context did
(e.g., if the embedded chunk of code is incomplete, and perhaps even
syntactically invalid)?

We can easily provide a similar functionality with Dmitry's design.
Dmitry hasn't bothered doing that, because so far it's never been used
(so it's not even clear whether it's ever needed nor whether it would
provide the needed info).

To be clear, I'm not sure what you mean. But then, the problem/question isn't well-formulated here.