Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/widen-less a4ba846: Repla

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/widen-less a4ba846: Replace prog-widen with consolidating widen calls
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2017 18:21:27 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2017 21:24:45 -0500
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> I think he was referring to the PREVIOUS-CHUNKS part of
> prog-indentation-context.  The MMM framework could easily provide some
> similar facility (which would take care of changing the narrowing when
> needed).  But I think we had better see some concrete uses first before
> deciding upon a design for that.

The code which supports PREV-CHUNK is already in Emacs, so the
question IMO is "why remove it"?  If we want to try to get this into
Emacs 26, we should strive to make the code changes minimal, ideally
zero.  Once all we are left with are documentation changes, the
feature can land on emacs-26 right now.

So I think it's worth our while to take a very good look at the
proposed changes and think hard whether we absolutely must make those
changes, and why.