Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/widen-less a4ba846: Repla

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/widen-less a4ba846: Replace prog-widen with consolidating widen calls
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2017 12:52:39 -0500

>> > The code which supports PREV-CHUNK is already in Emacs, so the
>> > question IMO is "why remove it"?
>> ?Which code is that?
> prog-indentation-context and its support in prog-widen.

AFAICT prog-widen doesn't look at the PREVIOUS-CHUNK part of
prog-indentation-context.
So PREVIOUS-CHUNK only exists in the docstring of
prog-indentation-context and nowhere else.

>> Zero is not the intention: for the doc changes to be valid, we need to
>> add a few `widen` calls in places like indent-according-to-mode.
> If those calls are conditioned on MMM actually being active, then
> existing behavior will remain unchanged, and we are good.

How do you propose we detect when MMM is active?

        Stefan "and by the way, those widen calls are beneficial even
                when MMM is not active, but if you insist I'm OK
                delaying this side benefit to Emacs-27"