Re: custom-set-variables considered harmful

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: custom-set-variables considered harmful
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2017 20:45:26 -0500

>> Based on the feedback, I added a config var to control the use of `setq'.
>> I also added a backward compatibility hack which makes it so that your
>> "new style config" will partly work in Emacs<27.

> Could you please summarize what this will do?

If you refer to the compatibility hack, it just defines
custom-autogenerated-user-settings as a alias for `progn', so it will
usually set the config vars just fine but will fail to mark them as set
by Custom.  Occasionally it will also fail to set the vars properly, of
course (e.g. because they're not set in the right order), but it should
be a fairly rare occurrence.

        Stefan