Re: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/widen-less a4ba846: Replace prog-widen with co

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/widen-less a4ba846: Replace prog-widen with consolidating widen calls
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2017 17:57:04 +0000

On December 5, 2017 12:55:46 PM GMT+00:00, Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 12/5/17 7:08 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> > I understand that you and Stefan think so, but doing that
> unconditionally
> > means these changes cannot be committed to emacs-26.  I was
> > trying to find a way of squeezing them into the release branch, but
> if
> > you think there's no way, it's fine with me to have this on master.
>
> Suppose the patch goes on master.
>
> Do I actually remove all references to prog-indentation-context like
> shown on the branch? Despite that it will be present in Emacs 26?
>
> What about NEWS? Will it say "prog-indentation-context was removed,
> and
> a different protocol for multi-major-mode buffers is established now"?
>
> These questions are still unresolved, and there's no point in delaying
>
> those decisions.

I posted a more or less complete proposal for how to make the changes you want
without breaking previous facilities.  If you agree with that proposal (which
IMO makes sense even for master), then most of the issues you raise disappear.
If you disagree, please respond to that message of mine explaining why, and
let's discuss that first.