Re: CC Mode in MMM Mode(s).

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: CC Mode in MMM Mode(s).
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2017 17:20:51 +0200

On 12/8/17 11:36 PM, Richard Stallman wrote:

I understand that.  Text properties are designed to be considered
part of the contents.  But font-lock uses them, so it is possible
to use them for things that reflect the contents and are not contents.

Yes. I'm not saying it's not possible, just describing the probable reasons for why this feature has been implemented this way.

Text properties expand, too.

Oh. Okay.

Do you mean, it is useful in the code to have a single overlay object
to put the properties on, rather than putting them directly on the
characters in the buffer?

I think so. But it's not something I've discussed before, or considered for a long time.