Re: master 01db800: Merge from origin/emacs-26

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: master 01db800: Merge from origin/emacs-26
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2017 10:23:51 +0100

Glenn Morris <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Glenn,

> The NEWS change from cb3d979b74 seems to have gotten lost.
> Any idea why?
> It should have been applied to etc/NEWS.26 in master.
>
> I tried to make gitmerge.el handled this automatically in master
> 0b6f4f2c60, so if you used that version of gitmerge, it may be my fault.

I took your word that merging with gitmerge.el is pretty easy. It
started well. During the merge, I was asked whether I want to apply the
changes of NEWS to NEWS.26 in master. I confirmed.

After that, the master branch was somehow broken. Further attempts to
run gitmerge told me "fatal: You have not concluded your merge
(MERGE_HEAD exists).". Perfect, I'm a git n00b.

I've tried to fix this with "git merge --abort", and indeed, gitmerge
didn't show any error next call. It also didn't show me further commits
to be merged. Likely, in its books the merge was finished, and it
regards everything merged fine.

Looking at the status at the master branch, I've seen that several
commits in emacs-26 didn't arrive master. I've tried to fix this by
several calls of "git cherry-pick ...". I hoped I have covered all
missing commits, but it seems that I've missed at least the commit for
NEWS. Maybe it would help if somebody is checking, whether I have
overseen other commits.

problems, git n00bs like me are lost. It will take some time, until I
have enough courage to try it, again.

Best regards, Michael.