Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/widen-less a4ba846: Repla

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/widen-less a4ba846: Replace prog-widen with consolidating widen calls
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2017 23:35:32 +0200

On 12/11/17 10:47 PM, John Wiegley wrote:

Dmitry, I do want to say that I'm disappointed this thread has gotten so out
of hand. Even when frustrated, we have a responsibility to subordinate our
emotions to the matter at hand,

My emotions are okay. And I've apologized in private. Still, I believe I had a cause to get offended at the grand-grandparent message.

which is the relatively straightforward
question: should we abandon prog-indentation-context and prog-widen or not?
Though Eli has opinions on this matter, he's not unreasonable, and we even
have Stefan available to comment on past maintainer decisions.

We're all reasonable people, who apparently disagree on some fundamentals, like what kind of "stability" and "maintainer responsibility" we're looking for.

I'm not happy about having this argument, but as someone closer to the problem, also feel a responsibility, to make my position heard, and for the better technical approach to be chosen.

With that said, I've spoken to Eli directly, and we've agreed that it's OK to
merge your branch and eliminate these features that were introduced two years
ago. I'm not entirely sure why they were added, or why Stefan has changed his
mind so greatly since, but it appears the present consensus is that they're no
longer needed. Simplicity wins.

To clarify, we're not exactly "eliminating" features so much as changing the way programmers will go about obtaining them.

So, you have my go ahead to merge, but before you do so, please clarify for me
(who hasn't been following this discussion as carefully), exactly what impact
your merge will have on master and on the status quo.

Is it okay to merge to emacs-26, then? If yes, the effect on master will be the same.

Not sure I understand your question. Do you want a full description of the changes? I can rebase the branch first before merging, and add proper change log messages.