Key binding popup interface (Was: Re: Poll: new keybinding for org-inser

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: Key binding popup interface (Was: Re: Poll: new keybinding for org-insert-structure-template on org mode list)
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2017 14:02:29 +0000

Copying this on both Emacs devel and Org mode list. Hopefully this discussion is eligible for that.

Problem statement: Need to have a pretty interface that shows the available valid key bindings.

We have something custom developed for Org export interface. Magit has its own popup interface. I know verilog-mode.el has something in-house for picking the skeleton for insertion, but the interface is not as good as hydra's.  Projectile.el (not on GNU Elpa) has its projectile commander, another in-house attempt to get a similar pop-up interface.

Of all those options and more that I've seen out there, hydra.el looks like the most elegant and *configurable* option.

Can hydra.el be merged into Emacs core, so that all the packages can start taking advantage of that? We need to stop having each package develop their own way to do this same thing.

It's already on GNU Elpa[1] , so there won't be any legal concerns.

[1]: https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/hydra.html

On Tue, Dec 12, 2017, 8:50 AM Rasmus <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Nicolas, are there any public interfaces to make ox export like
>> interfaces?
>
> No, there isn't. However, Org provides `org-mks'.

Good point.  It isn’t quite as nice as the export dispatcher.  Let’s wait
and see what Eric prefers.
--

Kaushal Modi