Re: Proposal for a new package on ELPA: Elbank

From: Nicolas Petton
Subject: Re: Proposal for a new package on ELPA: Elbank
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2017 01:01:41 +0100

Hi Richard,

>   > It's a personal finances reporting tool that uses Weboob[1] for scraping
>   > data from bank websites.
>
> What sort of thing is Weboob?  Is it a program you can run?  A "web
> application" for talking to a server?  Software to run a server?

Weboob is a set of tools to interact with websites from the command
line.  It simulates user interactions on a web browser, using Python
scripts.

One of this tools makes it easy to retrieve bank statements from various
bank websites.

> What job does Weboob do?  The name suggests a site where people
> publish seminude selfies, but I doubt that's really what it does.

It's an acronym for "Web Outside Of Browser", and yes, I also find the
joke to be of bad taste.

> If it includes software, what is its license?  Is it free software?

Elbank does not include Weboob, but currently requires it to fetch bank
statements.

Weboob is free software, distributed under the AGPL v3.

Cheers,
Nico