RE: `emacs -nw', `framep' returning `t', `display-graphic-p' returning `

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: `emacs -nw', `framep' returning `t', `display-graphic-p' returning `nil'
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2017 14:26:25 -0800 (PST)

> a single Emacs session can have both text-mode and GUI
> frames.

I see.  Learn something new everyday.

I use `display-graphic-p' in many places to guard some code
that might try to use graphic-display capabilities.

Apparently some of those uses might not really be appropriate
(might not do what I was expecting).  Thanks for the info.

> So I think you should examine the value of display-graphic-p
> not at key-binding time, but inside diredp-chown-this-file, because
> only then you know on which kind of frame will the command run.

No, that would be pretty useless.  It wouldn't even make sense
to test it in a Dired mode hook (readin or whatever), as the same
Dired buffer could be shown either or both of the two types of
frame.

I'll just remove the `display-graphic-p' test and leave only
the user option as the test.