Re: The name gnus-cloud.el

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: The name gnus-cloud.el
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2017 05:37:01 +0200

> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2017 16:16:47 -0500
>
>   > I don't like renaming files because that makes some VCS commands fail
>   > or work less efficiently, and makes forensics much harder and less
>   > convenient.
>
> We can't have a policy that badly chosen file names are set in stone
> and can never be changed.

There's no such policy, of course.  I'm just saying that renaming
should be avoided.

In this case, I cannot for the life of me understand what's all the
fuss about.  "Cloud" is just a word, and there's nothing wrong with it
per se.  We are not talking about cloud computing, nor about using
some cloud storage, we are talking about using the word itself.  I
cannot believe we are going to use the GNU and FSF authority and
reputation to proclaim the word "cloud" persona non-grata.

> Haven't any files' names been changed since we started using Git?
> How was that done?

This has been done, of course, and I'm annoyed every time I need to
check something about such files in Git.

> gnus-cloud.el is fairly new, so it hasn't got a years-long history
> entwined with other files.  We will not delete its history, but if
> that history gets a little less convenient to access, it won't be
> a big deal.

I say we should avoid that, and in this case I see absolutely no
reason to sustain more annoyance or inconvenience.