Re: The name gnus-cloud.el

From: joakim
Subject: Re: The name gnus-cloud.el
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2017 10:09:25 +0100

>   > I had some followups, last one:
>   > https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-07/msg00617.html
>
> I looked at the old conversation.  It was said that the name
> gnus-cloud.el was a joke.  I asked, what is the joke, and no one said.
>
> Now that the file is installed, I can look at it.  I don't see
> anything in the file that is evidently a joke.  What is the joke?
>
> Back then, you said,
>
>     OK, I'll let you and Lars and the maintainers figure it out. Let's do
>     the rename, if that's the decision, after the current gnus-cloud code is
>     reviewed and merged, or it will get confusing (because the feature
>     branch currently removes the old gnus-sync.el).
>
> That time has now arrived.
>
> The file starts with this:
>
> ;;; gnus-cloud.el --- storing and retrieving data via IMAP
>
> So how about renaming it to gnus-imap.el?  That name is clear and fits
> what the program does.
>
> Or perhaps gnus-imap-sync.el; it would say more about what functionality
> the file provides.

I don't have an opininon about what this file should be named.

I can offer a small datapoint about the connotation of the word "cloud"
in the segment I work in. The "cloud" is something to be feared and
avoided, especially since the advent of the european GDPR
legislation. The term "on premise cloud", where an organization has its
own servers, does have a positive connotation though.

--
Joakim Verona
address@hidden