Re: Using the correct terms LAP vs ELisp Bytecode or something else

From: Rocky Bernstein
Subject: Re: Using the correct terms LAP vs ELisp Bytecode or something else
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2017 11:56:31 -0500

Thanks for the information...

On Wed, 20 Dec 2017 20:50:28 -0500 Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

> What's the difference between LAP and Elisp Bytecode (if that is the right
> term)?
> LAP stands for Lisp Assembly Program, so I imagine that refers  to the text
> representation.

IIRC, LAP code is represented as a list (or is it a vector?) where each
instruction is represented by a symbol with some arguments.  So it's not
a textual representation, but it's a "symbolic" representation that's
fairly easy to manipulate and with many similarities to traditional
assembly: use of labels instead of actual addresses, use of
pseudo-instructions (e.g. labels), and things like that.

This is the first I am hearing about LAP code being something that is accessible from Lisp. Where are packages that work with LAP?