git history tracking across renames (and emacs support) (Was: The name g

From: Steinar Bang
Subject: git history tracking across renames (and emacs support) (Was: The name gnus-cloud.el)
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2018 11:07:48 +0100

>> How did bazaar track renames?

> Bazaar did track renames, but that commit didn't use "bzr mv".

>> How was bazaar renames handled during the conversion to git?

> I have no idea, but you see the results in the Git repository.

If the result you pointed at is the case for all bzr moves converted to
git, then history tracking was lost at that point, and there isn't
really anything to do about it.

But that doesn't imply that "git mv" won't work (well,.. except for
inconsistent support across git commands and missing tool support, that
is...).

After all this years I really, really, would have liked to see 'C-x v l'
in emacs work across renames.

So I think it's a pity that
were closed as fixed.

Because they are not, really.