Re: build failure 2 emacs-26 branch on Mingw64

From: Richard Copley
Subject: Re: build failure 2 emacs-26 branch on Mingw64
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2018 17:52:33 +0000

On 1 January 2018 at 17:41, Stephen Leake
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>>> You have a native make on the path in your MSYS bash process.
>>> "make" should be the MSYS make:
>>>
>>> $ make --version
>>> GNU Make 4.2.1
>>> Built for x86_64-pc-msys
>>> Copyright (C) 1988-2016 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>>
>> Right.  And I believe Sed is not an MSYS Sed, either, because that one
>> should be version 4.2.2, not 4.4.
>> Which could also explain the other problem Stephen reported.
>
> Hmm. Then the instructions in nt/INSTALL.W64 are wrong; it says to run
> autgen and configure from the mingw64.exe shell, which puts mingw64/bin
> first in path.

I think what's unusual about your setup is that you have the native
GNU Make installed under the name "make.exe" on your path. By default,
MSYS2 installs it as "mingw32-make.exe". Try this:

pacman -Ql mingw-w64-x86_64-make

> sed is the msys sed; it says "x86_64-pc-msys", and it's /usr/bin/sed.

I think that's correct. I have the same version. Eli doesn't use the
MSYS2 packages (right?).

> make is /mingw64/bin/make. Perhaps mingw64/bin/make is not installed by
> the msys packages listed in INSTALL.W64, but by something I did later?

I suspect so.

> Reverting my change above, and running:
>
> /usr/bin/make lisp.mk
>
> does fix the problem.
>
> That's pretty annoying; I don't see why backslash quoting should be
> different between msys and mingw!

The commands in the Makefile are written for a Bourne-like shell,
but the native Make is likely to use cmd.exe (or emulate it).