Re: git history tracking across renames (and emacs support)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: git history tracking across renames (and emacs support)
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2018 22:43:41 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2018 15:17:55 -0500

> >> FWIW, I generally do that by comparing the change to the actual code of
> >> Emacs-XX.YY.
> > How do you do that when XX.YY is not known in advance?  Check every
> > version of Emacs from the last one back?  That's not really efficient.
>
> I'm not saying it's the best way, just that it's the way I've done it so
> far (I guess I could have used the ChangeLog, but it's just not part of
> the things that cross my mind).  I haven't needed it very often and
> usually I can guess from the change date what version it likely belongs
> to, so I can't remember having had to look at more than 1 version (and
> since I have Emacs versions 19.34, 20.7, 21.4, 22.3, 23.4, 24.5, and
> 25.2 readily installed on my machine, it's very easy to check for those
> versions).

So you remember when each release was made?  And also when the
corresponding release branch was cut?  If you remember all that, then
I understand why you don't need ChangeLog's.

And mind you, in my scenario many times the date of the change is not
given.  Rather, someone complains about something in version XX.YY,
and I suspect some feature/change, but don't have a clear idea whether
that feature/change was introduced before or after that version.