Re: git history tracking across renames (and emacs support)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: git history tracking across renames (and emacs support)
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2018 13:05:39 -0500

>> - enjoy pure bliss.
> Yes, thanks, that's nice.  Incidentally, the doc string for
> vc-region-history is somewhat brief.

Indeed.  Can you improve it?
To me what it does is "show me the history of a chunk of text, the way
I've been dreaming of ever since I tried to implement it for GNU Arch".

> I've been trying to do "motivational" commit messages for some while,
> now.  Though, most of that has been in an explanatory paragraph below
> the introductory line rather than in the description of each defun
> change.

That works as well, yes.

> I think trying to explain the purpose of each individual change
> might become things like "prevent doing <xxxx> with a nil argument",
> which might not be much better than what we already have.

Often it's not much better, indeed, but sometimes even that small
difference would be very appreciated years down the line.

        Stefan