Re: Any interest in an XOAUTH2 patch for smtpmail (Gmail 2-factor auth)?

From: Cesar Crusius
Subject: Re: Any interest in an XOAUTH2 patch for smtpmail (Gmail 2-factor auth)?
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2018 10:49:07 -0800

On Sun 07 Jan 2018 at 17:42, Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> A proper generalization of 'smtp-try-auth-method' is easy, of
>> course.  All you need is to split the test into functions, eg
>> 'smtp-try-plain-auth-method', 'smtp-try-login-auth-method', etc, and
>> then have 'smtp-try-auth-method' simply call
>> 'smtp-try-<mech>-auth-method.'  Then anybody would be able to define
>> their own and just add them to the 'smtpmail-auth-supported' list.
>
> How 'bout just making smtpmail-try-auth-method into a generic function,
> so you can do
>
>     (cl-defmethod smtpmail-try-auth-method
>         (process (mech (eql xoauth2)) user password)
>       ...)

Sure, that works too, and is arguably better. I don't see many of those
around, so I assumed that the "hardcoded function name convention" was
the "Emacs way" (see, for example, auth-source itself).

I can probably work on making that happen some time this week if there
are no objections.

--
Cesar Crusius