About the removal of pinentry.el

From: Nicolas Petton
Subject: About the removal of pinentry.el
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2018 22:16:40 +0100

Hi,

I wonder why pinentry.el was removed.  I did read the NEWS info about
it, but unless I'm missing something, setting epa-pinentry-mode to
loopback and using pinentry-emacs are two different things.

With the gpg-agent configured to use pinentry-emacs, when using gpg from
external programs the passphrase is asked from within Emacs.

However, AFAIK, setting epa-pinentry-mode to lookpack will only make use
of Emacs when used from within Emacs.

For instance, with pinentry-emacs, when evaluating `echo "foo" | gpg -s`
from a terminal like xterm, the passphrase is asked inside of Emacs
(instead of using another pinentry like pinentry-gtk).

Maybe I'm missing something?

Cheers,
Nico