RE: Fix some tooltip related problems

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Fix some tooltip related problems
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2018 07:08:44 -0800 (PST)

>  > I guess you mean this tooltip:
>  >
>  >   mouse-1: Select (drag to resize)
>  >   mouse-2: Make current window occupy the whole frame
>  >   mouse-3: Remove current window from display
>  >
>  > As one user, in that context I'd rather still see those
>  > mouse actions shown in a tooltip, for info/learning
>  > purposes.
>
> The info is wrong and nothing can be learned from wrong info.

The same is true of most (probably all) of the places
where we show a dimmed menu item: the action is
"inapplicable".  That doesn't mean that showing it is
"wrong" and that "nothing can be learned" from seeing it.

A lot CAN be learned from such info.  That's why we
(and zillions of other applications) show it - dimmed.

>  > It would be good to dim them, however.
>
> There's no option to do that and there won't be any
> with system tooltips.

Why not?

Are you saying that this _cannot_ be done or only that
you've decided that it "won't" be done?  If the latter,
why?

>  > What's the reason for this change?
>
> To stop showing misleading information.

See above.  It's not misleading, if you dim it.
Showing "Edit > Cut" is not misleading when "Cut"
is "inapplicable" but it is dimmed to show that
cutting is not currently available.