Re: About the removal of pinentry.el

From: Daiki Ueno
Subject: Re: About the removal of pinentry.el
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2018 16:44:09 +0100

Nicolas Petton <address@hidden> writes:

>> Once again, the NEWS entry doesn't mention pinentry-emacs at all.
>
> That's why I mentioned it here.  My thought was that pinentry.el might
> have been removed while it is still a useful package.
>
>> So I wonder what is it that I'm missing here.
>
> I think that pinentry.el is still useful today for pinentry-emacs, when
> configuring gpg-agent to use it.

It still works, but I don't think it's useful today, given that
epa-pinentry-mode 'loopback exists.  I would suggest the GnuPG upstream
to drop pinentry-emacs and any support for it in GnuPG itself.

Nevertheless, I admit I misremembered as if the package was added in
Emacs 26; it's was actually added in 25.  So it might be safer to
restore it under obsolete, although it is also available on ELPA:
http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/pinentry.html

>> AFAIU, the NEWS entry just says that pinentry.el and the related
>> features are not needed with GnuPG >= 2.1
>
> Maybe pinentry-emacs can work without pinentry.el, and I'm not aware of
> that?

No.

Regards,
--