Re: git history tracking across renames (and emacs support)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: git history tracking across renames (and emacs support)
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2018 10:21:53 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2018 17:08:51 -0500
>
> FWIW, I think we should design the system for the case where the
> user *does* have the VCS history at hand.

We already do that.

> It's perfectly OK for someone to decide to hack on Emacs starting from
> a tarball rather than from a Git tree, but then this user gets what he
> asked for.

Since I'm frequently in that situation, I don't want to be
disadvantaged like that, especially since keeping the ChangeLog files
nowadays means a barely tangible effort from the project.

IOW, the color of this particular bike shed can stay as it is, without
anyone being unnecessarily at a disadvantage.