Re: git history tracking across renames (and emacs support)

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: git history tracking across renames (and emacs support)
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2018 18:33:32 -0800

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
It's perfectly OK for someone to decide to hack on Emacs starting from
a tarball rather than from a Git tree, but then this user gets what he
asked for.
Since I'm frequently in that situation,

How so? I'm almost never in that situation.

Do you download distribution tarballs and hack on them directly? If not, how do you end up with development copies of Emacs without having a repository near to hand?

keeping the ChangeLog files
nowadays means a barely tangible effort from the project.

We're not talking about removing the existing ChangeLog files. We're talking about what should be put into commit messages from here on out. That is an ongoing and nontrivial maintenance effort, and if we can ease the burden of writing commit messages then that will be a win.