Re: About the removal of pinentry.el

From: Matthew Carter
Subject: Re: About the removal of pinentry.el
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2018 23:05:12 -0500

John Wiegley <address@hidden> writes:

>>> I would prefer this be moved to ELPA; would that work for you Nicolas?
>
>> I guess we should change the NEWS entry then as well?
>
> Sounds like it.

I'm not sure if this is the direct cause, but I built 26.0.x
and 27.0.50 from source last night, and my use case seems to have broke,
as compared to how things function under the shipped Emacs 25.x.x in Arch Linux.

My previous use case/configuration was as follows:

In ~/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf I had the following (gpg v2.1):

allow-emacs-pinentry
pinentry-program /usr/bin/pinentry-curses

I did *not* have the epa-pinentry-mode set to 'loopback in Emacs.

I would be able to run: "epa-decrypt-file ~/.mailpass.gpg /dev/null" in
an Eshell session (a file signed with my secret key) and be prompted by
the readpasswd prompt in Emacs to decrypt the file (this is with Emacs
in tty mode).

With the Emacs 26/27 builds, instead of prompting, it would call up the
curses input (likewise for any of the GUI inputs if using an X session).

Changing to epa-pinentry-mode 'loopback did not change this behavior for
epa-decrypt-file, however it did change it for a symmetric decryption of
~/.authinfo.gpg when I called M-x gnus (perhaps gnus uses a different
 decryption call?)

Can anyone suggest a way in which I can retain the functionality of
having Emacs decrypt gpg files while running a system without an X session?

FWIW, I have a setenv call setting GPG_AGENT_INFO to empty string as
well (removing did not have an effect).

--
Matthew Carter (address@hidden)
http://ahungry.com