Re: git history tracking across renames (and emacs support)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: git history tracking across renames (and emacs support)
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2018 10:31:39 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2018 00:13:13 -0500
>
> I'm not particularly concerned about "easing the burden", but rather
> about improving the quality: when the commit message just paraphrases
> the diff, the commit message is not very useful

Since ChangeLog is generated from Git log, it _is_ useful when all you
have is the ChangeLog.  Which could happen if, for example, you want
to work on Emacs while off-line during a long flight.

> and would benefit from being rephrased so as to give more
> information about the intention/motivation behind the change
> (information not readily available from the diff).

I already suggested near the beginning of this bike-shedding the way
of making the reasons more visible.  What we need is to have more
people, including the veteran contributors, write better commentary
for their changes, and then we'll be just fine.  Commit log messages
are not the best place for this information, and should be used only
as the last resort.