Re: Autodetect imagemagick on macOS + Homebrew

From: Alan Third
Subject: Re: Autodetect imagemagick on macOS + Homebrew
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2018 23:09:36 +0000

On Mon, Jan 15, 2018 at 08:42:41PM +0100, Charles A. Roelli wrote:
> > Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2018 21:37:50 +0000
> > From: Alan Third <address@hidden>
> >
> > When imagemagick 6 is installed on macOS using Homebrew it can be a
> > bit of a faff to get Emacs built with it. The attached patch
> > automatically adds it to PKG_CONFIG_PATH if Homebrew is detected.
>
> Thanks for looking into this.  When I tried "brew" last time, I
> remember running into a similar problem in this area.
>
> That said, isn't this a problem that should be fixed in the package
> manager?  Why does "brew" not place ImageMagick's pkg-config file
> where they are usually stored?

I’m not sure. I believe it’s because other applications use
imagemagick 7, and they don’t want to cause issues by putting both on
PATH or something. OTOH I don’t think that matters too much with
pkg-config because it can detect versions, but I don’t really know.

There’s a similar issue with makeinfo, which is why we’re detecting
homebrew already.
--
Alan Third