Re: Generation of tags for the current project on the fly

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Generation of tags for the current project on the fly
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2018 15:02:34 -0700

>>>>> "Dmitry" == Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

Dmitry> Can we improve the "warm" reindex times? In the first message of this
Dmitry> thread I mentioned GNU Global because it reportedly supports
Dmitry> incremental updates. Can we get such feature in etags, too?

A while ago I wrote to this list about some work I'd done in etags.
This was one of the features -- that is, I made "etags -u" work in etags
mode, not just ctags mode.

The overall thrust of the project was to combine the use of a config
file in the source tree with auto-updating.  The former I considered
necessary to (1) avoid dealing with Makefiles and whatnot (and, building
tags in the source tree is much nicer when doing out-of-tree builds...),
and (2) make it so that Emacs could run "etags -u" on save without
needing to teach it about the correct command line arguments -- they are
in the config file (ages ago I did this same project but stored the
command line arguments in the TAGS file; but this patch was never
accepted).

Anyway, this all works and I am happy to send the patches if you want
them.  I personally switched to GNU Global in the meantime; it has these
features and a few more, though it too is not without its warts.

I suppose I could push my branch to git if that would be convenient.
Just let me know.

Tom