Re: master fails to build on FreeBSD when ACL support is on

From: Joseph Mingrone
Subject: Re: master fails to build on FreeBSD when ACL support is on
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2018 19:35:58 -0400

Joseph Mingrone <address@hidden> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>> More generally, someone who has access to FreeBSD and understands its
>> ACL implementation should look into that, because it sounds like we
>> have fundamental problems there with moving files from temp directory,
>> and those problems are just waiting to bite us in random places, like
>> this one.

> After a big of digging, I discovered the immediate problem and it does
> not have anything to do with FreeBSD's ACL implementations [1].
> FreeBSD's package building tool, poudriere has an option to use tmpfs
> for some of the file systems including the working directories, however
> I do not believe tmpfs supports ACLs.  When I turn this option off, so
> that tmpfs is not used, the build finishes successfully without any
> patching.

> Should ACL support be required to _build_ Emacs, even if that build will
> itself support ACLs?

> [1] UFS has both POSIX and NFSv4 ACLs, while ZFS only supports NFSv4 ACLs.
>     https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/fs-acl.html
>     https://wiki.freebsd.org/NFSv4_ACLs
>     https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=setfacl

There is another option to have the builder do everything mounted as a
tmpfs, so neither /tmp nor the working directory supports ACLs.  In this
case, the build also finishes successfully.

To summarize, the problem only seems to occur when /tmp supports ACLs,
but $WRKDIR (location where the tarball is extracted and the build
occurs) does not.