Re: master fails to build on FreeBSD when ACL support is on

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master fails to build on FreeBSD when ACL support is on
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2018 17:56:55 +0200

> From: Joseph Mingrone <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2018 16:47:38 -0400
> Cc: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>, address@hidden,
>       address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> Should ACL support be required to _build_ Emacs, even if that build will
> itself support ACLs?

There's nothing special about byte-compiling files during a build;
Emacs doesn't know it is doing that as part of building itself.

Moreover, building a release tarball doesn't require byte-compiling
any files, because all of them already come byte-compiled in the
tarball.  So this problem can only happen when building development
snapshots, and people who do that are supposed to have a working
development environment.

So I don't think we should disable ACLs while building Emacs.