Re: auto save for shell buffers

From: Perry Smith
Subject: Re: auto save for shell buffers
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2018 13:13:26 -0600

> On Jan 24, 2018, at 3:19 AM, Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> On Jan 24 2018, Robert Pluim <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Perry Smith <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> How can I set things up so the buffer being used to run an inferior shell
>>> will be autosaved periodically to a file?
>>>
>>> The file to save in could be named "shell-2018-01-22".
>>>
>>> I thought this would be trivial but it seems the autosave concept is
>>> deeply tied into the visiting file concepts which of course, doesn't
>>> apply for the buffer being used by the inferior shell.
>>>

>> I'm not sure why you think that. You can save the shell buffer to a
>> file, and it will be autosaved. Note that the shell buffer doesn't
>> have to be called "*shell*"
>
> Also, auto-save handles non-file buffers as well.

So, based upon Robert’s input, I did a write buffer to a file and it is now
auto saving the buffer.

But Andreas’ reply had me even more curious.  So I started another shell and
just did “auto-save-mode” which turned on auto-save mode (dahhh) and now there
is a file called #%2Ashell%2A#38994078EmN# in that directory.

YIPPIE!!!

Perry