Re: A patch for `pwd' - copying the current directory to the kill ring

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: Re: A patch for `pwd' - copying the current directory to the kill ring
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2018 13:44:08 +0000

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 8:13 AM Marcin Borkowski <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi all,

from time to time I have a need to insert the current directory name
somewhere.  Some time ago, I submitted a bug report suggesting that C-u
M-x pwd could insert the current dir at point.  Someone made that patch
a few years ago, and that is great.  However, it is not enough:
sometimes I want to be able to yank this dir to some other application
(usually the terminal - I want to cd to that dir).  I made a simple
patch that makes `pwd' copy the current dir to the kill ring (and - by
default - to the system clipboard) if prefixed with C-u C-u.  I attach
the patch.  WDYT?

I wouldn't even mind copying the default-directory to kill ring by default. Then you don't need C-u C-u.

- M-x pwd would show the pwd and *also copy it to kill-ring*.
- C-u M-x pwd will only insert the pwd at point (as before).

If someone did M-x pwd to know the current directory, most likely they would consider it harmless to save that kill-ring too. And if they didn't intend to do that, it doesn't hurt.. you always have M-y by your side :)

What do you and others think of this?

As a side, in your patch:

> +  "Show the current default directory. With \\[universal-argument], insert
> +the current default directory at point instead.  With \\[universal-argument] \\[universal-argument],

M-x checkdoc would fail there.. the first visual line in a doc-string must be a complete sentence and end in a full-stop. In your patch, the first visual line is incomplete (ends in ", insert"). The older version, the one your patch is based on, did it correctly:

--

Kaushal Modi