Re: Loading a package applies automatically to future sessions?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Loading a package applies automatically to future sessions?
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2018 08:24:40 -0500

>   > When a user does A, by default, it will do B in the current session and
>   > causes subsequent Emacs invocations to automatically do B as well
>   > (i.e. B is done by default on all installed packages).
> That doesn't make sense to me.

Why not?  All the packages that come bundled with Emacs are always
unconditionally activated and we don't offer any way to prevent this
activation (indeed, it's activated during the dump so we basically
can't prevent it).

Package.el follows the same idea (except that it does offer some way to
prevent activation of some packages, by customizing package-load-list).

        Stefan